November is here! And that means it’s time to start planning that Thanksgiving dinner. If you are a Big Green Egg owner, you can treat your family and friends to a moist, grilled turkey from your Big Green Egg.
Here’s our tried and true recipe for a great turkey and stuffing:
Set up the EGG for indirect cooking at 350 degrees (you can use a handful of pecan chips for a light smoky flavor and to provide a deep brown color to the turkey). Rub the turkey inside and out with your favorite poultry rub (we like OBIE-CUES Smooth Move BBQ Rub). Load the bird onto a vertical poultry roaster, rib rack or v-rack, then place into a drip pan. Fill the pan with chicken broth, water or wine. Cook for 12-15 minutes per pound until the temperature in the breast meat is 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
Now for the stuffing.
- Brownberry Sage and Onion Stuffing (or your preferred brand and flavor)
- Onion – finely diced and sauteed
- Jimmy Deans sausage, browned
- wild rice (cooked)
- chicken broth
- apple, diced
Combine all of the ingredients and stuff as much as you can into the bird. Any leftover can go into a casserole dish and be cooked.
Different EGG sizes can hold different sized turkeys.
- a Small EGG will hold a 10 lb turkey or turkey breast
- a Medium EGG will hold an 18 lb turkey
- a Large EGG will hold a 20 lb turkey
- an XLarge EGG will hold two 20 lb turkeys