The holidays can be a stressful time. Between pushing through crowds in the stores, finding empty shelves, and searching for that perfect gift, we can all get a little frazzled. Throw in preparing for company and all the cooking and baking, and it’s hard to find a moment for yourself. That’s why it is even more important to take a few minutes and unwind from all the holiday madness. There are several things you can do at home to ease your stress that don’t require shelling out extra money at a spa this time of year.
- Listen to music – select your favorite genre, artist or playlist and just listen for a few songs (or longer). Music can quickly shift your mood and push away those stressful, negative thoughts.
- Aromatherapy – it’s no secret that certain smells can have an effect on your mood. Burn a favorite candle or pop some cookies in the oven, just be sure to pick a scent that will calm you.
- Yoga – you don’t have to be a yoga expert, simply practicing a few moves can help relax you and release tension from large muscle groups. Combine yoga with some aromatherapy or music for an added bonus.
- Massage chair – if you’re fortunate enough to have an at home massage chair or pad, spend a few minutes there. Massage can reduce lactic acid build up, therefore increasing blood flow and reducing soreness and muscle fatigue.
- Hit the hot tub – we all know that a simple soak in a hot tub can have calming affects on us. The warm water coupled with the jets provides a serene place to let the stress of the season melt away. If you don’t have a hot tub, opt for a steamy bath or shower and give yourself a few minutes alone to relax.
With all the hustle and bustle of the holiday season and family gatherings, it’s important to remember to take time for yourself to relax and re-energize.